Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Today's text

Matthew 6:5-6

'And when you pray, do not imitate the hypocrites: they love to say their prayers standing up in the synagogues and at the street corners for people to see them. In truth I tell you, they have had their reward. But when you pray, go to your private room, shut yourself in, and so pray to your Father who is in that secret place, and your Father who sees all that is done in secret will reward you.

Prayer

There are no more precious moments of life than those I spend in your nearness, Loving Mystery. I know: I always stand in your nearness, for we are never separate from you. Separation from you is the abyss of non-being.

But I live too many of my moments in the shadow land, lacking sweet awareness of the love that surrounds and envelops me every moment. Too often the soul sleeps, unconscious of the Hidden Ground of Love who, moment-to-moment, breathes me into being.

You are that Hidden Ground, ever in the shadows but ever there. And stopping even for a moment I know you there by secret intuition, without seeing a thing.

I am a different soul when I live aware; free and full, generous and present I am, calm (as I can be) and certain of the One I need to live.

Prayer is the exquisite wonder of entering awareness of the Love who breathes me and all life, who surrounds and envelops, embraces and abides.

A rare gift, prayer. And you give it for our joy. How dare we profane it for some lesser purpose than abiding with you? May I honor you daily with truest prayer from a heart of gratitude.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: