Thursday, February 07, 2008

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Today's text

Matthew 4:1-4

Then Jesus was led by the Spirit out into the desert to be put to the test by the devil. He fasted for forty days and forty nights, after which he was hungry, and the tester came and said to him, 'If you are Son of God, tell these stones to turn into loaves.' But he replied, 'Scripture says: Human beings live not on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'

Prayer

If you are the Son of God … . Temptations come and go, Dear Friend, and all of them attack our identity. Who am I? Am I really who others say of me, or what I myself think? And is this word or act consonant with who I am? Or does it express a stranger foreign to my own soul?

And this soul that is me: What is it if not an expression of your word, your act, your purpose?

Made by and through your loving word I live (truly and only) on every word you speak. Living outside your word I dwell in the shadow lands of despair and confusion, where I do not know the truth with which you would fill me so that I know and become your loving delight. You are that truth.

So I will listen to you tell me who I am: sinner forgiven, fallen but friend, fool but cherished, mortal but beloved for eternity, confused but claimed, despairing but ever held in your loving delight.

Your word, your encompassing compassion gets the last word over me every time. I am yours, beloved, even as Jesus, my brother and Lord. Let me throw that into the damnedable teeth of every temptation that comes.

And for the sake of your grace, tell me again who I am that, like my brother Jesus, I may never forget.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: