Friday, February 08, 2008

Friday, February 8, 2008

Today's text

Matthew 4:5-7

The devil then took him to the holy city and set him on the parapet of the Temple. If you are Son of God,' he said, 'throw yourself down; for scripture says: He has given his angels orders about you, and they will carry you in their arms in case you trip over a stone.' Jesus said to him, 'Scripture also says: Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'

Prayer

Why do I seek you in the morning?

Each day I come, begging the blessing that is in your hand, praying for myself and my beloved, this day for the health of an unborn grandson, dwelling perhaps under threat even in the warmth of my daughter’s womb.

Save them. Save them both, I pray. Bring us to the day of celebration.

But I know: Knowing you is no guarantee that the wings of your desire will carry me and mine unscathed by the blows and grief that comes to every life. Neither our faith nor your love saves us from the pains of being what we are: human, fragile, mortal.

We cannot coerce you into violating the dictates of your creation with your own promise of enduring compassion. We cannot use your word to stave off the consequences of our folly or fragility.

Your grace invites us not to test your love but to trust it in the darkness. To hold it fast in the shadow lands of mortal existence, and to know: You are, and You are Love, and we shall know You.

So I seek you in the morning.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: