Monday, February 04, 2008

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Today's text

Matthew 17:1-7

Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter and James and his brother John and led them up a high mountain by themselves. There in their presence he was transfigured: his face shone like the sun and his clothes became as dazzling as light. And suddenly Moses and Elijah appeared to them; they were talking with him. Then Peter spoke to Jesus. 'Lord,' he said, 'it is wonderful for us to be here; if you want me to, I will make three shelters here, one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.' He was still speaking when suddenly a bright cloud covered them with shadow, and suddenly from the cloud there came a voice which said, 'This is my Son, the Beloved; he enjoys my favor. Listen to him.' When they heard this, the disciples fell on their faces, overcome with fear. But Jesus came up and touched them, saying, 'Stand up, do not be afraid.'

Prayer


‘Listen,’ you say. ‘Listen.’ And to whom? To him whom you name ‘Beloved.’ And by whom? By you who do not love but who is Love Itself.

You set my heart to hear the voice of the one Beloved of Love Illimitable.

And what can possibly come from your mouth, O Beloved? We cannot know or predict. Such love is ever beyond us. We know but this: There is one thing that you cannot do … not love.

You cannot do that, Beloved, for that would contradict your nature and the Mystery who illumines and shines from your core.

So I will listen to you, knowing that what I hear flows from a depth of love for me that I cannot fathom, believing that whatever befalls me I will fall nowhere outside you, trusting that even your hard call to suffer in your cause is laced with the love that shines eternally from your belovedness.

Today, Dear One, let me live in the light of your love that I may hear you and stand beyond my fears.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: