Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Today’s text

1 John 4:7-8

“Beloved, let us love on another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love.”

Prayer

Grant me the most sublime of blessings, Loving Mystery. Grant me love’s knowledge of you who are Love itself. For love is knowledge; anything less is mere mental grasping, feeling about in the dark. Only love knows.

Only when I love does my heart open to see and know you. For how can a heart that does not love know you who are Love itself? And how can a heart love unless Love itself dwells in its depths? In loving we know you; in knowing you we love. The circle of loving begins and ends in you.

We see what we are, and we are what we see. I would see you, for you are love and only love allows me to savor your wonder and grace in the midst of a cynical and brutal age. Only love opens my soul to see you and to see as you see.

When I know you my soul opens up to embrace all you have made, like a spring flower awakened, drinking in the warmth of life and the grace of air to become beauty simply by basking in the gifts you give. Creation rushes into my senses to be embraced by a holy affection larger and more resonant than any I can produce. You love your world in me, and I know you in the loving.

I have no words that capture the truth of this ecstatic loving awareness. I only know that in such moments I know truth. I know you. So let me love. Amen.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: