Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Today’s text

1 John 4:3-6

“Little children, you are from God and have conquered them; for the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. They are from the world; therefore what they say is from the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us, and whoever is not from God does not listen to us. From this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error."

Prayer

Give me ears to hear the resonance of your speaking in all speaking, Holy Silence. I would listen to you amid the sound and fury of my little moment in time that I may know what is real and true. Otherwise, I lose myself … and you.

There is a silent spot in my soul with which I so often lose touch. Many voices distract me from the deep silence where you abide. The worst distraction is my own anxious voice, filling the empty spaces where I can truly listen and hear.

Close my mouth, and open my heart. Let me retreat to that silent space of soul to rest and listen for the cry of your Spirit enfleshed in these many lives I daily meet. You are there. I hear you often in cries of joy or sorrow, yearning or consolation. And I would listen to you more. Only so, hearing your voice in the voices, do I know you. And that is life.

So let me listen. Amen.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: