Friday, April 27, 2007

Friday, April 27, 2007

Today’s text

1 John 4:7-8

“Beloved, let us love on another, because love is of God; everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love.”

Prayer

It sounds so simple, Holy Simplicity. And it is, for you. Or so I think. For your heart is simple, pure, given to the one reality, the one truth, the one thing whom you are. You are pure of heart, simple to the core. You do not spin off in a million directions but are eternally the One Love abiding simultaneously in every time and every space, a living unity of love in which nothing else is mixed or confused.

You are love. In you is no complexity, only impenetrable simplicity of heart and desire.

No wonder I can’t understand you, for I am not simple or pure at heart. My heart is drawn and driven by forces from within and without. My mind is tossed by conflicting winds of desire, some holy, many self-serving and most beyond conscious awareness.

But there are times of sublime simplicity when, if only for a moment, all other desire falls away, and I want only one thing. Rapt in your simplicity, only one thing matters, only one can be expressed, only one is possible. One desire fills the empty spaces of my soul, evaporating all confliction of heart. And I know the love you are, the love you would have me be.

This alone matters. All else is so much noise. So let it be. Amen.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: