Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Today’s text

1 John 2:23-25

“No one who denies the Son has the Father; everyone who confesses the Son has the Father also. Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you will abide in the Son and in the Father. And this is what he has promised us, eternal life."

Prayer

You are most gracious and courteous, Holy Mystery. You constantly invite me to abide and to abide in you. The thought of dwelling near the heart of your eternal kindness is my highest desire. I can want no more. But what is this abiding?

I hear in your words a call to come home from restless wandering, to rest, to remain, to find my home not in the life and reputation which I make for myself but in you.

Our hearts search for home, a place to be and belong, a safe space for body and soul. But, too often, we believe the illusion that it is something we make for ourselves. This is our temptation, and it leads to anxious work, to justifying ourselves and our value, to greed and defensiveness lest we lose our place in the world.

Our place is in you. You invite us to let our minds rest and remain not in thoughts of what we have or will accomplished, but in the eternal love that fashions and hold all things together, the love that holds me and which is a bubbling fountain of life and joy flowing in my own hidden depths.

Let my mind rest and remain in this love today, not in my anxieties about who I am or what I must do. Let me rest and remain in you. For you alone are my home. Amen.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: