Tuesday, December 03, 2019

That we may know



 At that same hour Jesus rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, 'I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. (Luke 10:21)

 Flood my soul with knowledge of you, heavenly Father. As you filled my brother, Jesus, with your presence, fill me to overflowing that I may know and serve you with fullness of heart in freedom and joy.

This is your will. I see it in Jesus’ joy as I study his face looking to heaven, thanking you that those he chose, so slow and plodding, should know the mystery for which every human heart longs.

We long to know … you. We long to feel you not as a separate entity, someone or something apart from ourselves, but within, to feel you one with our deepest heart, communing in a great love that fills our hearts and bursts from our lips in the only words that will do, Thank you! Thank you. Thank you.

Thank you for exquisite moments of knowing sweet oneness with you, your heart wrapped around my own, holy union, giving rest and peace, stilling all desire for anything more.

What more can there be? This is the ultimate, the end fulfillment of every human soul and of your gracious will … that we should know and enjoy the wonder you are, lost in thanks to you who are the Love that moves the moon and the stars … and this heart.

Moments of blessed communion fade. Our hearts cool. What once was intimate grows distant. Such is our human lot and weakness. We are as slow and plodding as those Jesus first chose to know what he knew.

But even this blesses, moving us to pray again, “Flood my soul. Fill my heart. Wrap your love around me that I may know … you.”

This is your will and our greatest need.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: