Monday, December 02, 2019

Speak the word


When Jesus entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, appealing to him and saying, "Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, in terrible distress." And he said to him, "I will come and cure him." The centurion answered, "Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; but only speak the word, and my servant will be healed.” (Matthew 8:5-8)

He knew, this Centurion. He recognized the desire at the heart of Jesus. As much as he understood Jesus’ power to heal, he trusted more this loving desire to make the broken whole, to free the paralyzed from distress.

I am not worthy of you, he says, but I know you will not hold this against me or refuse the one I love so much that I am humbly here asking for what you alone can give.

You do not look upon our worthiness, O Lord, but on the need of our hearts. You see our paralysis, the hurts and longings that imprison our hearts. It is for our freedom that you come to us, your heart open, eager to liberate us from everything that drains the energies of joy and hope.

We are not worthy of you, and we do not know how to receive you except by humbly asking you to speak the word.

Speak the word that frees our hearts from the grip of our fears.

Speak the word that heals wounds we have carried for so long that we despair of healing.

Speak the word that tells us you cherish us despite our worst selves.

Speak the word that lifts our hearts from gray haunts of sadness into the golden light of morning.

Speak the word of everlasting love that fills us as a glass overflowing until we know we are yours and always will be.

Speak the Love that fills your heart that ours may receive the healing you alone can give.

Pr. David L. Miller



No comments: