Thursday, April 30, 2015

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Colossians 1:7-8

This you learned from Epaphras, our beloved fellow-servant. He is a faithful minister of Christ on your behalf, and he has made known to us your love in the Spirit.

Madison’s ministry

Madison is my teacher. She is six, and she has a new lesson for me every Sunday. She hunts me down whether I am in the sanctuary, the sacristy or my office, often with several other children in tow.

Brown eyes flashing, she turns her face up to me and wants to be hugged … or picked up. She is getting a bit big for that. But she wants the touch of the love that binds us, the joy we find in knowing that we love each other—and we love each other a lot.

Once in a while, she brings me a gift, but the real gift is the connection we share that teaches me week-by week what this life is about.

Madison is a good teacher, a faithful minister of Christ. After six decades of living, I am beginning to understand. The life to which you call us, Holy One, is about being connected with each other in common hope, love and struggle to live the Love you are, a common life ministering to each other amid the average stuff of daily life.


It is not about me, but about us, joined to each other by the love your Spirit awakens in our souls.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: