Friday, January 18, 2013

Friday, January 18, 2013



Today’s text

Psalm 36:7-9

How precious, God, is your faithful love. So the children of Adam take refuge in the shadow of your wings. They feast on the bounty of your house, you let them drink from your delicious streams; in you is the source of life, by your light we see the light.

Reflection

Where will I drink today? Who will be the source of water that gives life to my soul? What sight will delight my heart and breathe the lightness of joy into my being?

Yesterday morning could I have guessed a thin boy named Troy would stop me in my tracks? Could I have known that his words, learned from me two years ago, would sit me back in my chair and render me speechless?

I didn’t know, but I know you, Lord, so I should not be surprised that streams of life appear on Thursday evenings as confirmation students scatter.

Troy’s mother approached me at the close of confirmation class as several dozen young bodies fled down the hall. I had prayed quickly at the end of our time, knowing we were late.

But they stayed. They told me my prayer echoed phrases of an ancient prayer I had taught this group years before.

I had forgotten that. But not Troy.

He spoke the ancient words, “Lighten our darkness, O God … .”

I felt his words and the beauty of a young soul not so different from my own when I was 13. I felt a love and longing for you, Holy One, in Troy’s heart … and mine.

And for a moment, I couldn’t speak.

I should not have been so surprised that a delicious stream of mercy and life would appear on a Thursday night, in a confirmation student … or anywhere at all.

There is nothing surprising about it. That’s the way you are. You are a delicious stream reviving my soul and breathing life into me.

And each time this happens I know the greatness of your faithful love. I know there is no need to find you because you find me. Again and again.

And again and again, I go my way in peace, my soul calm and at rest knowing there a God, a Mercy, who lives and flows, bringing delicious waters to the thirsty.

So I wonder, where will I drink today?

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: