Monday, June 30, 2008

Monday, June 30, 2008

Today’s text

Matthew 11:16-19

'What comparison can I find for this generation? It is like children shouting to each other as they sit in the market place: We played the pipes for you, and you wouldn't dance; we sang dirges, and you wouldn't be mourners. 'For John came, neither eating nor drinking, and they say, "He is possessed." The Son of man came, eating and drinking, and they say, "Look, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners." Yet wisdom is justified by her deeds.'


Prayer

You are as you say, Jesus, a friend of tax collectors and sinners. And me. One word turns the corners of my mouth into a smile: friend. It is as if I have won the cosmic jackpot, and I had nothing to do with it. It came solely as gift and utterly out of the blue.

You are transparent to the face of the Eternal Wonder, the loving joy of Eternity’s heart, the wisdom of God, Immanuel, with us. And you name me as friend, with a host of others, of course.

It does not matter that that you are repeating the charge your opponents threw at you. They got it right. They named you: friend of the tax collector and sinner; friend of the mortal and fearful; friend of the confused and wounded; friend of the burdened and heavy ladened; friend every heart who hungers for home. My friend.

Some smile at this, thinking it naive to imagine one could be friend to the Almighty and All-Merciful Wonder. But it is not me but you, Jesus, who use the word, acknowledging that this is just what you are.

So walk with me this day and through this life, my Friend. Teach me the wisdom only those who love can know.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: