Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Today’s text

Matthew 10:40-42

[Jesus said:] 'Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me; and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. 41 'Anyone who welcomes a prophet because he is a prophet will have a prophet's reward; and anyone who welcomes an upright person because he is upright will have the reward of an upright person. 42 'If anyone gives so much as a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is a disciple, then in truth I tell you, he will most certainly not go without his reward.'

Prayer

And our reward? It’s you, isn’t it, Jesus?

You are my reward. You are the gift I receive for whatever cup of water I lift to the lips of those who belong to you. I get to know you, the love, the passion, the giving, the mercy, the suffering, the pain of your life. All of it.

And in it all I receive life of a depth and sweetness that transcends my knowing and speaking. A life worthy of the names eternal and everlasting. Your life.

You send us to give the life and blessing you are, only to receive exactly what you are.

That appears to be the way your kingdom works: In giving we receive; in loving we know love; and in dying we live.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: