Monday, March 26, 2007

Monday, March 26, 2007

Today’s text

1 John 2:26-27

“And I write these things to you concerning those who would deceive you. As for you, the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and so you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, abide in him.”

Prayer

What is this anointing, Holy Mystery? What is this substance that abides and teaches so that I know all I need to know? What can it be, if not your own dear life? You dwell at my depths, stirring awareness of who you are and how you seek to take shape in my life.

From depth of heart beyond my reach, you invite me to rest in the love you are abiding in me. To rest and remain there is to grow strong, loving and wise, gentle and true. Abiding, I learn again who you are and who I am.

I am yours, and more. I am one in whom you are pleased to take a particular shape, rooted in the seeds you planted in my life through genetics and history, through saints and sinners, through places I have seen and dreamed, through those I have loved and those who have loved and rejected me, through every street I have walked and every voice I have heard.

All of them: seeds sown in the soil of my freedom. You abide in and among all these to birth a soul of your own anointing, bringing your living Spirit to particular expression in this life that I, possessed by illusion, dare to call my own.

Let me listen to the life you continue to create in me that I may hear your anointing and be true to that love and wisdom you are pleased to fashion from the seeds you have sown. Amen.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: