Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Today’s reading

Philippians 3:10-11

“I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the sharing of his sufferings by becoming like him in his death, if somehow I might attain the resurrection from the dead” (Phil. 3:10-11).

Prayer

I sat with a soul I love, Incarnate Joy, and in his smile and sincere seeking I saw you. But how is that sitting with one of your own I suddenly discover that I am in the presence of holiness. One moment I notice nothing but pleasant conversation, the next I am silently thanking you that I am alive, that I am here, that I am privileged to listen to another soul in whose words I hear you speaking? How does this happen? It is as impenetrable to me as the mystery you are. How ever it happens, thank you. It is your gift of breath to my soul.

I enter another mode of being when I know myself in this inexplicable love that is your presence here among us. It is then I know the power of your resurrection, not in fullness but in its certainty and certainly in in the flesh and blood of the present moment. I know: the tomb that held your crucified body was a failed project.

You are loose in the world and sitting on my couch, bringing tears of gratitude to my eyes. I look this soul in the eyes and see you. And I know he hasn’t any idea that he walks around with the glint of eternal dawn in his eyes. He knows the joy of those blessed to bear your eternity in their mortality. But he hasn’t a clue what is clear to any who enjoy the privilege of listening not to his words but to the heart from which they flow, a living stream of resurrected life. He should be my teacher. Indeed, he is.

You, O Living Light of Eternal Glory, shape us both. You grant to each of us the particular incarnation of your resurrected life that pleases your loving purpose. You sit across from me, shining with a simplicity of heart and desire born of a love which invites any who see it to come home and rest in your presence. And to me, you give eyes to see the power of your resurrected beauty. May I see you again. You take my breath away. Amen.

No comments: