Thursday, October 17, 2019

The place of knowing


Thursday, October 17, 2019

“Woe to you lawyers! For you have taken away the key of knowledge; you did not enter yourselves, and you hindered those who were entering." (Luke 11:52) 

Grant, Holy One, that I should know you and share what little I am able to understand, which is very little indeed.

But this much I know: The soul’s knowledge of you is not a pedestal from which to look down upon others, imagining one is more advanced in some way.

That is the great sin of the proudly “religious,” anxiously imagining they are “right” or somehow better than those they critique.  

There is no such advancement in me. I remain forever a beginner in this life, so often falling back on myself, failing to live and love what you have been so willing to share with me of your own divine heart.

This is why I so desperately return to this, my holy space, where you seem so pleased to meet me, and I am so blessed to know that I am always welcome, I … such as I am.

So I return and ask: Tell me again. Speak to my heart once more. Give me that knowledge that is you, and I will struggle (it’s the best I can do) to share what this heart knows, if only I can find words and ways to express the mystery that inexplicably lives in my heart.

The ways and words of others who love you have been the door though which I entered the wonder of your loving presence.

May I, too, in this time of my life, be a door through which others may enter the place of knowing.

Pr. David L. Miller

1 comment:

Debbra Troudt said...

And we are so blessed that He is always there to welcome us time after time, and to tell us again and again. He understands our humanness and even in our most 'ungodly' times, says "Come to me." I have told myself and others who are hurting because of there own choices that we always must remember that our God is a God of beginning again and welcomes us and our pain unto Himself.