Saturday, August 11, 2018

Saturday, August 11, 2018


Psalm 139:7-9

Where shall I go from your spirit?
Or where shall I flee from your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, you are there;
if I make my bed in Sheol, you are there.
If I take the wings of the morning
and settle at the farthest limits of the sea,
even there your hand shall lead me,
and your right hand shall hold me fast.

Encompassing Love

A giant eye stares from the top of a stain glass window in the church of my youth. The eye does not look threatening, nor is there any apparent compassion its steady gaze. It just stares at you from its place near the back of the church where everyone walks in … and walks out.

Look slightly to the right as you wait to shake the hand of the pastor, and you discover you are being watched by an unflinching observer who never blinks. I don’t know the intention of the artist—or the architect who placed it there, but I’d have preferred a different image at the church door as I departed.

Jesus' hands raised in blessing would have been nice. Something that said, “Go in peace, I’ll be with you … and waiting here when you return.” For that is the gracious message and comfort that meets us here: Where shall I go from your spirit?

Go, there is no place I will not be for you, no place I will not go. Go, just try to hide from me. Try to cut yourself off. Do you think Love surrenders so easily?

Go wherever and to whomever you please. Go where the road takes you. Explore every single hidden side of yourself. Go and imagine you can be alone … anywhere.

Not so. For I AM, and I AM there with you, walking alongside, waiting for you to notice Love attends your every step. I AM that Love.

I am not an unblinking eye that seeks out your every failing. I am not the Everlasting Seer ever looking over your shoulder.

I AM Encompassing Love, like the wind that caresses every contour of earth and sea, surrounding and enveloping you and all that is. Holding you fast. Always.

Pr. David L. Miller






No comments: