Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Colossians 3:9-10

Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have stripped off the old self with its practices and have clothed yourselves with the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge according to the image of its creator.

Rain

I love the rain, especially at night. I lie in bed and hear it steady on the roof. Sometimes there is only a few intermittent drops, and I will it, pray for it to fall in a steady pulse that calms my heart.

I feel peace within as the house covers me and the waters surround me. I am part of this great thing called … life.

I am one with it all--the falling waters, the rhythm of the drops, the earth and trees and all that is washed fresh, drinking in life; the street, too, rinsed clean, the tires I hear on highway 355. All of it and more encompassed in the rain’s embrace.

Sometimes, Holy One, my best times, I feel and know myself within you. I am not separate, but somehow inside of you, being bathed and washed, cleansed and renewed by the Love that is your Life. I am me, distinct but not separate, inside of you, part of you, knowing you not as one who looks on from outside, but who is part of the Love and Life you are.

I am wanted, welcome, belonging, treasured, cared for and immersed like a drop of water in an unimaginable sea. My life is encompassed in Love that surrounds and seeks to freshen and fill me and everything.


This is what it is like to know you, Holy One, and to know myself. For I am not what I do, what I think and what I have accomplished. These are but the clothes in which I hide my nakedness. I am a drop of rain, part of the Love falling to earth to make each day new.  

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: