Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Tuesday, August 19, 2014



Today’s text

Romans 12:1-2

I appeal to you therefore, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God—what is good and acceptable and perfect.

A holy presentation

Monday, I sat in the chair by her bed and prayed. From time to time, I think she heard me from far away … in the world of sleep, a land suspended between life and the Life into which we go.

I wanted her to hear the words of assurance and peace, words of blessing and yes, of regret, that her life was not what she wanted … and was ending too soon.

I wanted to bless her and for her to hear and know it fully. I wanted her to know the Love that fills you when you sit beside the dying soul for whom you wanted so much more--certainly more life … but also enough love to heal the inner wounds you could not mend.

So I presented her to you, Loving God. My prayer hovered above her bed, barely penetrating her consciousness as I offered her to you … offered myself, too.

I was there, praying, speaking, blessing--marking her head with oil in the sign of the cross, the hope of the wounded and broken.

Even if she could little hear or respond, words of grace flowed from my soul to surround and embrace her, as I offered her back to you, a holy presentation of a life you love, a life that has long hungered and cried out for the healing only you can give.

Nurses came and sheepishly backed out the door, not wanting to interrupt. I wonder … did I look foolish, speaking prayers and blessings to someone who may have heard almost nothing of what was said?

There is a time I would have cared about the answer to that question. No more.

It is not just that I know that you hear, Holy One.

No, I have come to see that all that matters … all that matters … is the speaking, the blessing, the grace. Once grace is released into any room--however empty or full, whether heard or not--everything is changed and charged with the Presence of the Love who heals what we cannot.

So we sat there, embraced by grace long after the final echoes of my words faded into silence, the two of us, a holy sacrifice presented to you.

So sad, yet … it was perfect. Because of you.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: