Monday, August 18, 2014

Monday, August 18, 2014



Today’s text

Romans 12:1

I appeal to you therefore, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

Given away

Saturday afternoon I walked through the sanctuary, and my heart filled with joy. I was beyond happy. I was overwhelmed with pleasure, the pleasure of God.

The joy filling me was eternal, endless, without limit, and it completed me.

I could not imagine then … or now … anything I would rather do … or be … than to be in this place, speaking a word of the Love who refuses to let us go.

“Thank you,” I said into the empty room where people would soon gather. “Thank you for letting me do this.” This is my only prayer as I bow at the table at the start and close of every liturgy.

I have no explanation for why I should feel this way or why this should be the place that joy comes so fully. I only know I feel God’s pleasure when I am here, when I speak and when the blessing and compassion of God flow through me.

 It is then that I am truly alive, free … and me. And I know … I was born to be this vessel of blessing. I was formed to know the joy of grace, the elevation of divine pleasure filling and passing through me.

I do not think I am in any way special. It is the divine destiny of every human soul to experience God’s pleasure filling them so that they might surrender themselves to the labor of life they have been given … and know the Love who made them, the Love for which they are intended.

The filling of divine pleasure comes as we surrender ourselves in love to the Love we come to know in this life. And in our surrender, we discover what it means to be alive, truly alive.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: