Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Tuesday, July 15, 2014



Today’s text

Isaiah 44:6-8

Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel, and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god. Who is like me? Let them proclaim it, let them declare and set it forth before me. Who has announced from of old the things to come? Let them tell us what is yet to be. Do not fear, or be afraid; have I not told you from of old and declared it? You are my witnesses! Is there any god besides me? There is no other rock; I know not one.

Silence

The end of all prayer is silence, quiet in the Presence of the One who is always present.

What can one say? Who can speak a word in the face of God, the Love who is the first and last, who finds us wherever we are no matter how far we wander?

Who is like this Love who knows and holds every future and tells us not to fear, for every future is held and laced through with the Love that is before all and after all and in all?

When the heart knows this Love present and warm, filling one within, silent joy and wonder are the truest response.

Yet, two words form again and again in my heart, “Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.”

Thank you for the Love you are, the Life you give, the hope that fills me when I know myself in your presence, eye-to-eye and heart-to-heart with you who fill me beyond all measure.

The words are as unnecessary as they are inadequate. No words will do. They are feel … and are … so insufficient and incapable of bearing the joyous weight of glory that spills from the heart.

Yet surely something must be spoken to praise you, Holy One. I live in words. My soul craves expression that speaks what the heart knows.

But this morning all I have to give you is this amazed smile, quiet tears … and silence. Yes, this silent knowing … only this give adequate praise to you, the Love who holds me this and every moment.

Pr. David L. Miller


No comments: