Monday, July 14, 2014

Monday, July 14, 2014



Today’s text

Isaiah 44:1-5

But now hear, O Jacob my servant, Israel whom I have chosen! Thus says the Lord who made you, who formed you in the womb and will help you: Do not fear, O Jacob my servant, Jeshurun whom I have chosen. For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour my spirit upon your descendants, and my blessing on your offspring. They shall spring up like a green tamarisk, like willows by flowing streams.

Living Water

This day, O Lord, is like water on thirsty land, not that I have been parched in recent days.

The water of your life has come to me again and again through lives and faces that tell me I am where I need to be, with people and places you intend.

You are the water of life, the nectar of the soul, the Presence always present who comes through many means, through the loves we love and by which we are loved, through work that serves a purpose, through praising and knowing you in community, yes there.

In community, Sunday worship done, conversation in the narthex, a tray of Bill’s berries shared with the McKenna girls, and I feel inextricably connected by sinews I cannot see but feel in laughter and brilliant smiles … in common concerns and hopes, in shared food and moments.

And now, today, a question: Why is it that I come to these keys filled with hope? Why does an average summer Monday fill me with peace as steam rises from the coffee waiting at my right hand?

It is more than Sunday’s afterglow. It is the presence of Love in every love, the Living Water of which Jesus spoke, water that flows through my soul.

But it comes always from a source, the Source of our souls … You.

You are the Living Water that flows. You water my soul and the seeds of your life spring up into a harvest of hope and peace.

Is it too childish to say that you make me smile? For, you do. You are the smile in my soul.

Living Water, the stream of life you are reaches me through a thousand channels stirring an excess of joy that blesses me … and makes my once sad soul more a blessing of joy for a few others.

Thank you … for this day, for this life, for this Love, for this awareness of who you are.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: