Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Today's text

John 3:1-4

There was one of the Pharisees called Nicodemus, a leader of the Jews, who came to Jesus by night and said, 'Rabbi, we know that you have come from God as a teacher; for no one could perform the signs that you do unless God were with him.' Jesus answered: In all truth I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God without being born from above. Nicodemus said, 'How can anyone who is already old be born?

Prayer

Morning comes. The sun has not yet split the darkness and sent it scurrying into the far corners where it waits it’s time. And I? I am new, born again, from on high.

I walk into this space and decades of encrustation fall from the soul. Unburdened by the weight of yesterday or the freight of fear, no anxiety or regret grips the heart, which flies so free tears fall.

And why? I don’t care. Analysis distances the soul from your sweet gift. Basking is better. Resting is best, sitting enveloped in the cloud of newness that makes the heart young.

I have known young and old. And I know they have nothing to do with the calendar page. I have closed death’s eyes of souls eternally young, fresh and supple even in dying. And I have wearied under the cynical weight of hearts from whom enthusiasm and expectation had long fled, though youth endured.

How can anyone who is already old be born fresh and new? I don’t know how, only who.

I enter your nearness, and my heart knows only morning. Dear Friend, may I grow old with a morning heart.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: