Monday, February 05, 2007

Monday, February 5, 2007

Today’s reading

1 John 1:1-4

“We declare to you what was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have looked at and touched with our hands concerning the world of life—this life was revealed, and we have seen it and testify to it, and declare to you the eternal life that was with the Father and was reveed to us” (1 John 1:1-2).

Prayer

Who are you, my beloved? I know the writer’s desire to speak, to testify, saying, “This much I know is true.” But your desire moves me far more than my own.

Who are you? You are the One who longs to be known in the eternal life you give and are. You want to be known, but not for your greatness or glorious splendor beyond all light, nor for the dazzling wonder that reduces my futile imagination to worthless rubble each time I try to grasp you. No, you would be known for your kindness, not for your vastness, for your nearness, not your inscrutable eternity.

You would be known as near kindness, present eternity, touchable wonder, tangible source of the eternal hope coursing through our souls, awakening us from the little death of sleep that we might enter a new time and do it all again.

You want me to know you. Such is your desire. The thought alone brings tears. It stops every thought of which my mind is capable. You want me … to know you, to touch you, to love you, to give my life to you who are Life itself. Your joy and chief desire in relation to me and all creation is to be known as eternal life, now, in the face of the Word made flesh, in my own flesh—and in the frail flesh of all whom I will see and touch this day.

I cannot penetrate the wonder of it. You who are eternal want to be known, touched and carried by these frail hands that even now stumble across the keys seeking those that will honor you, my dearest Friend and highest Hope. You, who are life, want me, who bears the seeds of my death, to see and hold and have fellowship with you who are light eternal.

I know you in your desire. And this much I know is true: You are the kindest of all generosities. You are the Nameless Wonder who is before all. You are Source of all life and love who longs to give the fullness of your eternity to me for the fulfillment of my mortal flesh. It is your joy to give and see this joy alight in our eyes.

This day may we touch and see you are in the places you are pleased to be known that we may live. Amen.


--Pastor David L. Miller

No comments: