Friday, February 09, 2007

Friday, February 9, 2007

Today’s reading

1 John 1:1-4

“We declare to you what was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have looked at and touched with our hands concerning the word of life—this life was revealed, and we have seen it and testify to it, and declare to you the eternal life that was with the Father and was revealed to us. We declare to you what we have seen and heard so that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and his son Jesus Christ. We are writing this that our joy may be complete” (1 John 1:1-4).

Prayer

What was from the beginning, this we have seen and touched. Where, dearest One? Where do we touch you? Where do we cradle your flesh? Where do we embrace you, or are we more likely to strike or ignore you, however unknowingly?

The idea that mortal hands should touch Eternity exceeds imagination and awakens disbelief. You, the Unnamable Wonder, the Dark Space before whom I wordlessly stand seeking the wisdom of silence: I touch you?

Yet, each day I touch the flesh and lives of human souls, each bearing a mystery they cannot begin to speak, the mystery of being itself. I cradle my grandsons (all too infrequently) always throttled, unable to speak the wonder and beauty of their lives, the miracle of life itself, which you privilege me to hold in my startled hands.

Holding them, or receiving the welcoming embraces of those among whom you have placed me, I wonder: Do I there touch you, the power of Being Itself, incarnate and constantly seeking fullest expression in their lives? As you incarnated your life in fullest human beauty in my brother Jesus, do you do the same here among us so that when we extend our hands to each other we welcome eternity?

If so, then I touch you daily. And our lives, times and places are holy space where you are present, touchable, knowable in what you continue to create as your love seeks and finds expression in the frail fallibility of human flesh, in me, in all I will touch this day.

Help me to see and know you this day. Awaken my senses and soul to you, who are from the beginning and right here, right now. And this you do, that we know the power of your life, the light of your love, the joy or your companionship. Amen.

--Pastor David L. Miller

No comments: