Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Today’s reading

Philippians 3:4b-8

“If anyone has reason to be confident in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, a member of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew born of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to righteousness under the law, blameless. Yet whatever gains I had, these I have come to regard as loss because of Christ. More than that I regard everything as loss because of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and I regard them as rubbish, in order that I amy gain Christ” (Phil. 3:4b-8).

Prayer

What have I lost for you, Dearest Friend? I wish I knew. The ease of my life sometimes troubles me. Paul surrendered an entire identity, giving up all that provided him power, status and respect. He chose you and was stripped of all that gave him joy and meaning, the respect of his people, accomplishment and status in society.

He chose you, who chose him. That choice led to suffering and deprivation beyond any he might have imagined. But all he lost was so much trash because he knew the surpassing value of knowing you, whose loving purpose surpass all other concerns.

You have this affect on those who love you, those who touch the restless blaze of your divine heart. You, O Living Flame of Love, move your saints to ecstatic lengths of self giving. They transcend narrow concerns of self and safety to surrender themselves to a love that would consume the world. And why not? It has already consumed them. You stir in them the fire you are, and we warm our chill hearts in their burning.

And I? My life is one of relative ease. I indulge my various appetites. I am easily upset when my comfort and expectations are inconvenienced. I grow melancholy when fulfillments of work, relationships or personal respect are disappointed. I live a charmed and pampered life and grow indolent.

But then there are days, and this is one, when your living flame lifts me from languor, igniting a soul fire that burns with your loving purpose to warm all in the fullness of your life. And again I want nothing more than to give myself to that purpose, which alone is worthy of total surrender. Light the fire of your eternal flame in my heart this day that I may love as you love. Amen.

No comments: