Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Today’s reading

Philippians 3:1

“Finally, my brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord.”
(Phil. 3:1).

Prayer

Can I praise my way into your presence? That you are here, always, I do not doubt. I have known it to be true even during my despairing years when the joy of your nearness was beyond my grasp. But on average days like this, when I awake with much to do, I need to know you. I need you like I need my next breath. I need to enter you, O Abiding Presence, that joy may overfill my heart before I throw myself into the day’s tasks.

But today my soul is still, unmoved. I am unable to enter into your abiding though I believe you are as near as the air moving through my lungs. Awaken my soul to the wonder of your infinite nearness. Then I will rejoice with words and stirring of soul that is beyond my capacity to create.

In meantime, I will await moments of exquisite awareness amid the small details of living, with my senses attuned to you, O Far Near One. And even while my soul is still, I will rejoice in love’s triumphs as you give me vision to see.

Praise to you, O Exquisite Nearness. Praise to you: I awake again to a world where you are. Praise to you: You redeem me from lonely isolation, prisons of my own making, and link me to your all-encompassing heart where I am never alone, but tied to the joys and sorrows of all held in the embrace of your care. Praise to you; I am in you, dearest Jesus, in you. I dwell in a love as expansive as the universe and as near as the flesh of a friend. Praise to you; I go my way believing you shall draw me into the exuberant unity of your triune love, O Dancing God, where all things move to the rhythm of your divine heart. Let it be so today. Amen.

No comments: