Monday, July 17, 2017

Monday, July 17, 2017

Matthew 13:1-3

That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat beside the lake. Such great crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat there, while the whole crowd stood on the beach. And he told them many things in parables, saying: ‘Listen! A sower went out to sow. 

Being in your presence

The story continues, but I am not listening. The sower throws seed. Some springs up quickly and dies. Other seed is gobbled by birds, and some falls into good soil and grows.

The story is well known, but I wonder if I were sitting there, at Capernaum on the banks of the Sea of Galilee, whether I would have heard any of it.

I wonder if I would have been so pleased just to be there, with you, that I would have gazed at you barely listening to what you were saying.

As much as anything, this is what I crave: just to be with you, in the presence of the love and beauty that shines from you when I feel your glance and hear you speak about the seed you have planted in my heart.

I know the seed. It has grown into the desire to know and love and be with you, to speak the word of love that flows from the Father, through you and into me.

The greatest joy is to know, to speak and sing of this … Presence ….this Love. Moments come when there is no separation between my heart and yours, when we are one heart, joined in love. It happened again yesterday, this oneness. It always brings tears.

This is what I desire. And this is what I imagine would have happened if today was the day I sat on the shore, listening, as you began to speak of seeds and soil. I would have simply enjoyed being in your presence.

Being in your presence is everything. It calms the heart and awakens the joy of being encompassed in the oasis of Love around you.

Being there, the seed grows. 

Pr. David L. Miller


No comments: