Sunday, November 29, 2015

Monday, November 29, 2015

Isaiah 9:2

The people who walked in darkness
   have seen a great light;
those who lived in a land of deep darkness—
   on them light has shined. 

Blessed darkness

Light streams through western windows, stained glass painting sunspots blue and gold across the church floor, whispering, “Come, sit here for a while …and know.” 
Know? Yes, know that light is the love of the One who is Love warming the winter heart until it glows, at peace and happy just to be alive, filled with praise for the joy of knowing you, Holy One. Thank you … for sunlit moments when I know you.
But days come when I feel lost and alone. All I am and ever have been seems but a wisp of smoke, dust in the wind, soon scattered and forgotten. Darkness hangs heavy on my heart, shutting out light and joy, old feelings I have known since I was too young to remember.
And yet, thank you … for the darkness. It is more friend than foe. For it brings me to my knees, aching for the Light of Love to appear in the depth of my soul and revive me once more. 
It drives me beyond myself to surrender in tears, there to find the Light who finds me, the Love who is always there, waiting for me, the  Presence who appears within when I release the contortions and confusion of my heart to you … who wants all of me.
You are always there, the Light in the land of darkness.
I feel your knowing smile, appearing even as I sink beneath waves of sadness. You know I will soon come home to the Light and Love you are. So thank you … for moments when darkness threatens; they always lead me back to you.


Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: