Friday, November 27, 2015

Friday, Nov. 27, 2015

Psalm 25:14

The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear him,
   and he makes his covenant known to them. 

Rest

Worries of what will be
run night races ‘round
worn tracks of mind,
stealing sleep.

So I come here,
Dearest Friend, to
rest and hear your Voice
that breaks the race,
releasing the heart,
to sink into this familiar
chair and sit with you
a while in the silence
of knowing.

I come to know
my heart’s Friend, truly,
where silence settles
every noise of mind
and matter and that again
I might know who I am.

I know: I never
forget, ever, but there
is a knowing that stills
all else, evaporating all
distance I might feel
from you. For that I come,
light red candle and look
into the flame of love.

All works for good,
I hear, for your friends,
though goodness wears
disguises that require
patience and faith ‘til
joy appears in the dawn
of grace.

And morning comes …
now, dear Friend, a new day
in this time and song in which
I know … you are here,
awakening this old heart
haunted from earliest days
of its beating with the hope
of knowing you.

And I do, a knowing
that brings rest night cannot
give, the rest of sitting in
silence by this flame
that never dies.


Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: