Monday, September 14, 2015

Monday, September 14, 2015

Monday, September 14, 2015

Mark 9:33-35

Then they came to Capernaum; and when he was in the house he asked them, ‘What were you arguing about on the way?’ But they were silent, for on the way they had argued with one another about who was the greatest. He sat down, called the twelve, and said to them, ‘Whoever wants to be first must be last of all and servant of all.’

Now I know

Choirs sang to me yesterday, a church full of people, too. It was my birthday, and they blessed me so richly tears flooded my eyes and gratitude my soul.

But I had already received my birthday gift even before they sang.

I went through years when Sunday worship brought little if any connection with God. The deep filling of my heart came in the quiet places of my life where I would meditate and listen in my soul for the Soul of the Universe.

And I heard you, Loving Mystery. But the assembled gathering of people to worship, sing and pray seldom penetrated my heart or opened my soul to the wonder you are.

Sometimes songs touched me, and I felt connected. Music has always been a great gift and blessing for me.

But most Sundays I was content to retreat by myself to a place where I would read a few lines of Scripture, meditate and be carried into awareness of the Holy Presence. Alone with God, I knew an exquisite grace in which I fell silent … and knew a Fullness of heart beyond words.

Such moments are still come for me. But a change has occurred.

Sunday, breaking the bread and distributing communion the flow of faces and open hands awakened waves of great love and joy that required me to blink hard to hold back the tears brought by the gracious beauty of this thing we do together.

We are bound in a Great Love, joined in a Great Giving of life and You, Holy One, are this Great Love, this Great Giving … this Great Beauty that so moves me.

Sharing the grace of these moments there is nowhere in the world I would rather be than in this sunlit room sharing the food of blessing with this people who blessed me, one-by-one, with the privilege of breaking bread and serving them the grace beyond all graces.

I still love my quiet spaces, the moments when my heart is full and my fingers find these keys. But now I know: Standing in the assembly, serving the Great Love we receive together, there is nothing greater.

Pr. David L. Miller


No comments: