Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Psalm 139:13-16a

For it was you who formed my inward parts;
   you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
   Wonderful are your works;
that I know very well.
   My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
   intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my unformed substance.

Where the search ends

Daylight falls heavily on the heart:
Will time run beyond me, before
heart and hand hold the fullness
of my truest longing?
Sixty two years I have been,
and still I am not me, only becoming,
wondering if I will have enough time
to be what I am, finally to arrive
at the destination, a heart fulfilled,
completed, at peace, joyful and content
with what I am and what is mine,
driven no longer by passion for More.

Is this how you made me, knit
together in my mother’s womb,
always wanting, doubting if ever
my soul shall find peace and rest
in the Love that alone quiets
every longing, filling the heart
so that wanting is gone and holding
is all that is? Is there an end here
or is the heart doomed,
a restless hunter for what it cannot
finally, fully make its own?
Is this the way you made me
from my mother’s womb?

If so, even so … I praise you. Great
is your name and the mystery
of your ways, for my longing heart,
my eager and hands have searched
and held and known the Love who
holds me, stirred by longing
for what it could not name but knew
it must have. Moments surprised
when searching melted into finding;
longing arrived at its destination
and disappeared for all else was lost
in Love and wonder at the Love
that found and welcomed me
to surrender searching and know
hope fulfilled, heart completed, at rest,
united in joy with the Love who
made me for Love, and fashioned me
to be satisfied with nothing less.

Pr. David L. Miller


No comments: