Monday, February 24, 2014

Monday, February 24, 2014



Today’s text

Matthew 6:25-26

That is why I am telling you not to worry about your life and what you are to eat, nor about your body and what you are to wear. Surely life is more than food, and the body more than clothing! Look at the birds in the sky. They do not sow or reap or gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they are?

Reflection

Can I trust you? Isn’t that the question here, Lord?

Can I trust that the empty and unfilled places in my life will find what they need because you know me and you know what I need?

You know me. These words stop me and bring immediate comfort.

You know me, and you love what you know of me--and it is your desire that the heart of my heart be filled with the love and peace for which you fashioned me.

But I can trust this?

Many lose faith altogether because they prayed for their heart’s desire and it did not come. Their prayers fell to the earth yielding nothing, at least nothing they could see, nothing that lifted the burden from their hearts.

What can I say to them or even to myself on days the heart feels lost or alone and unfulfilled, when you wonder if it all matters?

How can we maintain simple trust that we are known and that what is needed will come even though it seems unlikely or impossible?

There is only one way I know: To come here, to light a candle of hope again and watch it burn, to pour out the contorted, confusing tangle that is my and every human heart … and when all is said to rest in the promise that you know … me.

These words are a mantra for every day: You know. You know me.

You invite me to rest them … and to know, even as I am known.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: