Saturday, April 14, 2012

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Today’s text

1 John 1:4-5


Our life is shared with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. We are writing this to you so that our joy may be complete. This is what we have heard from him and are declaring to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all.

Reflection

Each morning I pull back the corner of the drapes in the bedroom and look east, into the coming day. I want to see the pale blue of clear days just before the sun rises above the trees.

I don’t always get what I want. Some mornings promise only gray skies. That’s alright, but my heart is brighter on days when the air is clear and the sky transparent, eagerly waiting for the sun to fill the Earth with light.

And to fill me.

I, too, am filled with light on such mornings, and I know what it is to be light, to know the light of God far beyond the promising light of morning.

You are light, Holy One. I know your light as interior experience, an intuition not only on bright but gray days as well.

But this day is bright, as are all days when I know you as internal brightness, the joyful lilt of heart that is ready to welcome each face the day brings, receiving all that comes with a gentle and open spirit beyond all defensiveness and fear.

Filled with light and joy, knowing not an iota of anxiety, I … I love. Love flows freely because my heart is filled with the light you are. In this state, I begin to see as you see, to understand as you understand, to love as you love.

I sense how you see me and all that is. You hold us in loving joy, in this appreciative delight that fills me. I experience a lightness of being, lightness of soul, and all that is shines in its created beauty.

My eye and heart is open and eager not to grasp the day and claim it as my own, but to gently receive it, appreciating each moment as a holy gift.

I am free from every need to be something, prove something or do something other than to bask in the light that fills me--and to know the joy of the One who is light.

You are light, Holy One, and there is no darkness in you. Flood my heart with light all this day that I may continue to taste the joy that is in you.

Pr. David L. Miller

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've discovered your blog this morning and immediately bookmarked it. You put into words what I so often feel but haven't the ability to express as you do. Earlier in the day as I walked (literally) with God I sensed His love filling me and that it was flowing freely to others. As you say, I'm beginning to … love as He loves. Thank you.