Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Today's text

John 14:1-3


Do not let your hearts be troubled. You trust in God, trust also in me. In my Father's house there are many places to live in; otherwise I would have told you. I am going now to prepare a place for you,and after I have gone and prepared you a place, I shall return to take you to myself, so that you may be with me where I am.


Reflection

It is important to know your place.

Everything Sunday morning a ritual is acted out on the step at the front of our sanctuary. Readings from the Bible are read, and children are invited forward to sit on this step to hear the children’s sermon.

Children rush … they run forward to beat me to this step because I have a place, my place, right there in the middle. But I am too slow. They beat me to it. They look at me and giggle.

I try to squeeze in, and they push their skinny butts together so that I can squeeze in. But I can't, so I must sit on the floor in front of them. This is my place they tell me.

So I sit on the floor and talk to children, as they line up on that step and sit with me. In mock anger,I shake my finger at them and say, “You’re in my place.” But they just laugh … because they are in their place. It belongs to them, and they know it.

We are all in our place: We belong there. We are safe there; we are wanted there … and cherished. So we tell stories and laugh, and they make fun of me, and between the lines of all that happens we realize how much we love each other.

And the love that we share there, sitting together, is not ours, but flows from the reservoir of an infinite love that draws and holds us together.

Whether the congregation knows it or not, whether they see and recognize it or not, whether they have ears to hear what is happening, we are a living sacrament, sitting right there before them. We act out and make present the central truth of our lives. The truth: There is a love that is for us, a love that always has a place for us, a place with our name on it.

Right there on those steps … heaven appears. The love of Jesus enfolds us and silently whispers in our ears: 'You belong. You belong to me. In my love there is a place just for you … and it is yours forever.'

This day, O Lord, let us know our place.

Pr. David L. Miller

2 comments:

Ivy said...

Thank you for sharing this. It's what it's all about. I'm beginning to learn this from my internship supervisor.

Anonymous said...

If THIS is going on in worship at St. Timothy, what wonderful ministry is happening there ... and how blessed all of you are together. May all be moved to gratefulness for what potential this portends for the St. Timothy community.