Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Today’s text

1 Peter 1:8-9


You have not seen him, yet you love him; and still without seeing him you believe in him and so are already filled with a joy so glorious that it cannot be described; and you are sure of the goal of your faith, that is, the salvation of your souls.

Reflection

The soul seems like such an inconsequential reality. Some doubt that it is a reality at all. It’s an illusion, a puff of smoke, a fleeting intuition that one is more than mere molecules that chemistry and biology can explain.

But I often come to my day badly in need of being saved. My soul is sour, not hopeful; my orientation is towards things small and petty, the every day wrangling of getting a few things done before surrendering to the clock. Nothing in me soars, hopes or expects to taste the greatness of being alive, of knowing wonder, of feeling moved by love, beauty, laughter or tears.

Cynicism reigns on such days. Life fades to gray. Happiness is a mere diversion from the conflicts, disappointments and the anxieties that rush through consciousness at warp speed, soon to be replaced by others, too many of which set up shop and stay for a while, souring the spirit.

But salvation does appear, sometimes from out of nowhere, when I least expect. It is then that all this fades, and life takes on color and again. Consolation fills gray desolate places, and vision lifts to see life and possibilities not there moments before.

The heart, the soul grows full of gratitude and rich with generosity. It is then that I know the goal of my faith, your goal Holy One, to bring all that is and all of me--all the time--into this wholeness of life where grace reigns and the heart is sure that this salvation, once tasted, will come full come.

I wake this day again in need of being saved. I suppose that’s pretty much true everyday. When one learns a melancholy spirit as a child, the notion of soul, this inevitable orientation toward life that shapes and colors all one sees, seems natural as breathing.

What is less automatic is living in the love that lifts the soul to song. That one must receive as a gift you can never control but only look for and be ready to receive when it appears.

So today I look and wait to taste again the salvation I need.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: