Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Today’s text

John 1:6-8


A man came, sent by God. His name was John. He came as a witness, to bear witness to the light, so that everyone might believe through him. He was not the light, he was to bear witness to the light.

Reflection

Come, Lord Jesus. Let me see your light that my darkness may flee.

It is easy to lose sight of you in the heat of the day. Work needs to be done. Challenges arise. People can be difficult. Patience grows short.

Words and emotions flood the mind and flow from the mouth, speaking nothing of your peace.

Darkness is in me. I fight it well when I am well prepared. But most often my darkness catches me off-guard, springing to life in unexpected ways and with startling speed. I am little aware until the deeds of darkness are my regret--and the wound of another.

But when I see you, when I rest in your love, when the brilliant whiteness of your unceasing goodness envelops me, all darkness flees.

So here I am again, sitting before you, calling your name, asking to see the light that shines from your face down every dark alley of creation. It pries open the heart and chases every shadow from the hall, until the light of an eternal loving fills each corner.

Yes, then mercy replaces every dark thought, and my eyes embrace all that I see with kindness. And everywhere I look I see reflections of your brilliant shining.

Come, Lord Jesus. Let me be and see your light.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: