Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Wednesday May 7, 2008

Today’s text

John 7:37-38

On the last day, the great day of the festival, Jesus stood and cried out: 'Let anyone who is thirsty come to me! Let anyone who believes in me come and drink! Let anyone who believes in me come and drink! As scripture says, "From his heart shall flow streams of living water." '

Prayer

A stream flows from my depths, Jesus. A spring bubbles there. It fills the heart and spills into my daily world. Life, peace, joy, blessing, all these well from that primordial place, that virginal point where my soul opens to yours.

From that infinitesimal aperture in the dark reaches of inaccessible soul, that which is you flows ancient and true, fresh and cold, into this life, giving life.

When I dwell in that stream, turning mind and heart to your incessant giving, I live.

So why do I not live from the depths of this bubbling heart? Anxieties and angers, conflicts and fears, old wounds and fresh hurts draw me to live the mood of the moment, detached from that life-giving stream that freshens the soul and keeps me human.

So I return and drink from that stream of grace that flows from you into this heart of mine. And you pull me into its flow. You still my soul and give all I need to live as your beloved, filled and encompassed by an eternal spring.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: