Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Today’s text

John 8:31-24

To the Jews who believed in him Jesus said, “If you make my word your home you will indeed be my disciples; you will come to know the truth and the truth will set you free.” They answered, “We are descended from Abraham and we have never been the slaves of anyone; what do you mean ‘You will be set free?”

Prayer

In your word, your substance, the delight of your giving, we know you, Dearest Friend. We know you and are free. And it is you I want to know beyond all else. If I do not know you, I lack the one needful thing, the secret substance that transforms all other knowledge and learning into praise and joy.

Without you my soul languishes in sorrows of my own making. But resting in you, in the words of beauty and belovedness that you constantly whisper in my soul (if I would only stop and hear), all is well, no matter what is, no matter the outward circumstance.

For I dwell in you, this geography of grace, an open space where light floods the soul and life’s duties become blessed play in meadows of freedom, where the sheer delight of being alive lifts the heart beyond all drudgery.

I am at home in you, walking in the atmosphere of divine delight, in the joy you take in loving and giving your own heart to me. This is freedom, anything less is the drudgery of labor east of Eden. So I give you thanks, and I pray let me not wander this day from this holy space where I know you.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: