Thursday, August 23, 2007

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Today’s text

Luke 12:49-51

[Jesus] also said to the crowds, “When you see a cloud rising in the west, you immediately say, ‘It is going to rain;’ and so it happens. And when you see the south wind blowing, you say, ‘There will be scorching heat;’ and it happens. You hypocrites! You know how to interpret the appearance of earth and sky, but why do you not know how to interpret the present time?

Prayer

The day begins. The time is now, the only time of which I can be sure. The past rushes in agitating minor anxieties about the future, which soon will rush into the present like a swollen stream; stopping for no one, its inexorable current flows quickly by, into the past, receding into the mists of memory, leaving me again with now.

The time is now. It is always now. It is all I have. And so are you, Jesus. You are now, always, and we always have you near.

So I know the time: the time is to breathe you into my lungs that breathing out I may issue a love eternal into every now that you give me.

For you are now, and you are here, and you are eternity’s great mystery as close as my breath.

So let it be.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: