Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Today’s text

2 John 1:10-11

“Do not receive into the house or welcome anyone who comes to you and does not bring this teaching; for to welcome is to participate in the evil deeds of such a person.”

Prayer

These words are hard, Holy One. They say things I do not want to hear, bearing a message contrary to the welcoming love I know that you are. “Abide in me,” you never tire of saying to my heart. “Come make your home in me, and I will make my home in you.” Your invitation is so different from this warning.

But even here I sense your loving concern. Your heart grieves that we should lose the life eternal you are pleased to share. You would not have us miss drinking from the cool stream of your soul and find refreshment on our sometimes weary ways.

So you warn us not to welcome anything that would distract us from intimacy with you, anything that obscures the faith that is the path of fellowship in your love.

But what of those who do not know the mystery of your purpose to be incarnate and real in all that is, deifying the entire universe? What of those who deny that you appear in the flesh of our brother Jesus, out of love for a world you always intended to enter? What of those who mistake and refuse the wonder of this mystery?

I understand this warning, but does your love not burn also for these? Would not holy hospitality reveal the wonder of your growing enfleshment in the lives of those who share intimacy with you?

I will live with this question, Dearest Friend, enjoying your hospitality that welcomes even me. Help me to know when to welcome and when to stay clear for the good of my soul and the fulfillment of your purpose. Amen.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: