Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Today’s text

1 John 5:10-12

“Those who believe in the Son of God have the testimony in their hearts. Those who do not believe in God have made him a liar by not believing in the testimony that God has given concerning his Son. And this is the testimony: God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.”

Prayer

Eternal life is in you, my blessed brother. And the life that is in you is in me, for you are in me. What is it to have you, to have life?

You are the incandescent burning of a love that has no name. You are the visible face of impenetrable eternity. You are the human features of infinite wonder. You are the unceasing love of the Father’s unfathomable heart.

To have you is to have this love, this life abiding in the depths of one’s being. It is to be in-dwelt by a divine abiding in which one’s heart can finally rest and abide. This awareness, this reality is eternal life.

I have no idea what it was like for you, my Jesus, to know the fullness of this life in your mortality. There must have been as much sorrow as joy as you witnessed what we do to each other and your creation. But joy is unmistakable, in you and even in my sad soul.

So, too, are freedom of heart and mind and a peace that comes as love abiding melts sadness and doubt and fills with the awareness that you are love; you are always love and you fill me with the love you are.

In moments of fullness, the only possible sadness is the knowledge that, too soon, I will lose awareness of you and revert to ordinary consciousness, not knowing your exquisite nearness. But in those moments I know you; I know myself, and I know what life is for. Let me, let none of us, ever forget. Amen.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: