Thursday, May 03, 2007

Thursday May 3, 2007

Today’s text

1 John 4:9-10

“God’s love was revealed among us in this way: God sent his only Son into the world so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the atoning sacrifice for our sins.”

Prayer

“That we might live,”… can I want more than this? I want to live. This burning desire from the depth of my soul makes me average. You create me and all that is with the desire for yourself. You are Life Abundant, and our souls are born on fire with the awareness that we are intended for More, for a great and surpassing love, for the mystery from which we spring. Failing to find this, we do not live in fullness for which you made us.

I did not spark this hungry flame. You did, making us in the image of your own desire.

But you do not make us search for the love of our yearning. You come to us. Your fullness wears the face of Jesus, our brother. Contemplating his every word and act, our senses come alive to More, to the surpassing love from which and for which we are made.

Knowing him is life, for the fullness of your divine love fills him. Savoring that fullness fills me also, bubbling up, spilling over, leaving no empty spaces. And in that moment, I am alive as in no other. I live. And the life I bear is your own eternity, satisfying the ancient desire of every soul … and of mine. But the hunger returns. So fill me that I may live. Amen.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: