Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Today’s reading

1 John 1:1-4

“We declare to you what was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have looked at and touched with our hands concerning the world of life—this life was revealed, and we have seen it and testify to it, and declare to you the eternal life that was with the Father and was revealed to us. We declare to you what we have seen and heard so that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and his son Jesus Christ” (1 John 1:1-3).

Prayer

Dearest One, whatever else I may know today, let me know you. Allow me the privilege of fellowship with you who are the overflowing fountain of eternal life and boundless love.

The fellowship you offer is in our hands and hearts, tangible and visible. We touch and hear your eternal life. We feel you coursing our souls, moving us to hope and to love, to give and to be given to you and all you love.

I know the life you are in words preached and spoken, in sacraments of meager bread filling up empty hands and my heart with a joy and love uncrushed even by busiest days and bouts of melancholy. I know you in faces appearing at my door no matter how banal or common their need or request. In them I see your desire to enter this world deeply and without reservation, to bathe yourself in its pathos and struggle to live and to laugh. It is a desire beyond their own, and I wonder if they know they Wonder they bear.

The eternal life you are rushes through my veins and arteries filling me with your divine longing to give this love that bubbles from source unsearchable in the darkness of my depths. You awaken desires to bathe in and become this love in which I know myself more fully alive than I am anywhere else.

Tell me, is this fellowship with you? If so, I want nothing else. So give me, give us this day such fellowship with you. Release in us the energy of eternity that the environments of our lives may fill with you, the bubbling fountain eternal life and joy. Amen.

--Pastor David L. Miller

No comments: