Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Today’s reading

Philippians 3:20-21

“But our citizenship is in heaven, and it is from there that we are expecting a savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. He will transform the body of our humiliation so that it may be conformed to the body of his glory, by the power that enables him to make all things subject to himself” (Phil. 3:20-21).

Prayer

Come, Lord Jesus transform our bodies. Conform us to your glory. Your glory is clear. You lived transparent to the Loving Mystery you called “Abba, Father,” the infinite source all creation, the fountain of all being, the Living Spring of Love. All you did and are--every act of healing and care, every word of teaching or argument with those who opposed you--conformed in detail to the desire of the Everlasting Love who has haunted us all our days. From your call to enter to your kingdom to your acceptance of your torturous death, you are the face of the Infinite Wonder no eye has seen.

But we have seen you, and seeing you we behold the Loving Mystery who desires to shape our lives and bodies into the image of your eternal beauty. It takes my breath away and scares me. For you reveal a love I don’t and can’t grasp. Your love grasps me and doesn’t let go. It is hungry, discontent and unresting until it fills every empty space where it is not, every corner of every soul that still turns away, clogged by its own fears and preoccupations. You will have all of us, and all of us will be the love you are. But I wonder: What little will be left of my self-absorbed, fear-disfigured life when I, finally, am subject to the love you are?

Still I pray. I must pray, “Come, Lord Jesus.” I know that you do. I look about and see the glory of your hungry, restless love in the lives of your beloved, sometimes even in my own body. Continue to fill us with the divine desire from which your every word flowed like a living spring. Conform our bodies to your own that we might known and shine with the Everlasting Love with whom we cannot live without.

Come, Lord Jesus, our hearts are hungry for you. Amen.






No comments: