Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Today’s reading

Philippians 4:4:1-7

“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God that passes all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus” (Phil. 4:4-7).

Prayer

Come, Lord Jesus. Let your peace guard my heart and mind. They stand in constant need of guarding, and you are the Prince of Peace. You are my peace. Apart from you, my heart knows no calm or assurance. You are ever near. But peace eludes me when I do not know myself encompassed in your all-embracing care. So allow me again pray myself into awareness of your abiding here in this silent cell where I pour out my heart to you, letting my vulnerability be the royal road into your divine heart.

I am in you at all times. Baptized, you enclose me into the circle of blessing that is your inner life, O Blessed Trinity. But I would know myself in you at all times. Then peace pours forth from your heart into mine, and I grow calm and gentle, peaceful and peace giving.

I do not dwell in this holy blessing at all times. But often I have tasted it, and I crave it like my next breath. My heart and mind are ruled too much by my fears. Anxieties about my life, my skills, my knowledge, my awkward ways and desire for others respect, these stir me from silence to speak too much at inopportune times, bumbling and stumbling over poorly formed thoughts, wondering if I am as much a fool as I feel.

Put a guard on my heart, and a seal on my lips, O Peace of Eternity. You are my peace. Guard my heart behind high walls of your constant watchfulness. Then I will know my being, entire and full, within the protective arms of your loving and eternal embrace. Hidden there in your love, inner silence crowds out the anxious voices. Peace fills and spills from me, a living stream of your holy life, pouring from me into your world to bless those lives you have place near to befriend and care.

Come Lord Jesus. Let us know ourselves in you that peace may guard our every word and act, our thought and ways. This day may we live beyond our fears in your blessed peace. Amen.

No comments: