Monday, December 11, 2006

Monday, December 11, 2006

Today’s reading

Philippians 4:4:1-7

“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God that passes all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus” (Phil. 4:4-7).

Prayer

Tell me, my Truest Joy, are the gentle joyful, or are the joyful gentle? Which is first and cause and which the affect? Or do both gentleness and joy find their source elsewhere? I ask because I desire both, and both too often escape me. Amid demands of the day, my heart grows quick and hard, my voice takes an edge and my inner space rattles with defensive chatter born of fear.

I know the difference in my soul when I am joyful. My heart grows expansive and generous. I embrace more of your world and of my own soul, receiving and holding near even the ugly and painful parts from which I normally recoil. Joy fills me, and gentleness becomes my desire.

It happens the other way too. There are days when the fragile beauty of every soul and all creation softens my voice and gentles my hand. I grow quiet and tender, seeking to bless every life you place in my care. Such gentle giving stings my eyes with tears of joy-filled gratitude, for I know then that I am part of your great giving of life to all you love.

Gentleness and joy appear together, natural siblings in my soul. Mutual apostles they are; one leads quickly to the other. And neither appears in my heart apart from you, Truest Joy. They appear where I know you. When I know your nearness, they appear. And when they appear, I know you are near. So I know, dearest One, a joyful and gentle heart is the miracle of a love that is not my own, but yours. Your love, the gracious heart of infinity, fills and spills from my heart as a reservoir overfilled, watering the land, issuing forth a living stream of gentle joy.

So come, Lord Jesus. Bring gentleness and joy to our lives and limbs. Our world is dying for both. Our souls shrivel in darkest winter cold unless you fire our hearts with the presence of your love. May we know you today. Amen.

No comments: