Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Today’s reading

Philippians 3:14-16

“I press on towards the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us then who are mature be of the same mind; and if you think differently about anything this, too, God will reveal to you. Only let us hold fast to what we have attained” (Phil. 3:14-16).

Prayer

Give me that gracious turn of mind that is your own, most Courteous Christ. In you all things came to be. All that I see and am was fashioned in you, through you and for you. You hold all things together. You are that gravity of grace that draws together all the whirling elements of this and every universe. Yet, you do not force your love on any. You seek not to dominate my heart but to woo and win it by washing my soul in your beloved delight until I am convinced that all that I have and am is a gift of the good pleasure you take in loving one such as me.

You call me to dwell in the heart of humility. This is easy on days like this, not because my soul is downcast or disgraced but because I taste the fullness of you who are, the living bread of the Eternal Fullness whom I cannot see. Seeing and knowing you, my heart is convinced beyond any possible doubt that my knowledge of you is blessedly partial and incomplete and ever shall be. Most of all, I know your good pleasure. I am enveloped by your abiding and unfailing desire to give yourself to me that I may more fully enter the belovedness in which you have held me for all eternity.

I savor the smallness I know as you encompass me with the fullness of your loving desire, a rather lavish gift for just one life don’t you think? Still, you wrap my smallness in your encompassing wonder, lifting me into the gratitude and praise which is the highest joy a human heart may know.

Thank you, Most Courteous Christ. Give to us all, to our community of faith and learning, that humility of mind and heart that holds the precious gifts we have attained from you, but remains ever aware that you are so much more. Amen.

No comments: