Monday, October 02, 2006

Monday, October 02, 2006

Today’s reading

Philippians 2:1:-4

“If then there is any encouragement in Christ, any consolation from love, any sharing in the Spirit, any compassion and sympathy, make my joy complete: be of the same mind, having the same love … . Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility regard others as better than yourselves” (Phil. 2:1-3).

Prayer

Your blessed face, dearest Jesus, is holy invitation to the only life worthy of the word. “Do nothing from selfish ambition,” Paul writes, but it is your voice that I hear: “Come, enter my life. Find in me the life you were created to live.” There is no law here, only gracious invitation to be part of you, sharing your life, your love, your labor, your belovedness, your joy and sorrow.

Truest joy and sorrow are known not in selfish ambition and conceit but in being as given as you, surrendered to the eternal holy purpose of the Loving Mystery to whom you called in the night watches from the depth of your being. You desired nothing but the reign of God’s own peace. Wholly given to that divine desire, you are the very face of eternity, the blessed visage of the Holy One. I am honored to praise you with my first words of the day, giving first place to you who are worthy of all praise.

And you are pleased to dwell in me, laboring to shape your heart and mind deep in my stubborn flesh. For you do not ask what you do not first give. You invite what you work in us, this humility and grace, this gentleness and simplicity of heart in which, as you, we may know the joy of and love of being given to One who is Love. It is this that you desire for me. It is this that you desire in me. May my tears bless you forever. Amen.

No comments: